Thursday, April 18, 2013

QR codes // where do they fit?

There's a trend that's been around for the last couple of years and it's one that doesn't yet seem to be slowing down. At the same time though I'm not sure its role in our media has become any clearer.

There are few great executions that use QR codes from what I've seen. Far too many brands simply place a QR code in their advertising because it seems like the 'in' thing to do. Often they don't add anything of value, simply pushing to a web page. Well, we don't need a QR code to get there.

Their common use is aided by the fact that they're so versatile. I've seen QR codes spray-painted on walls, created on ice, out of grass and even the one below, which is made out of flowers.

I love a clever QR code, sadly though I've not seen very many and their overuse is causing their potential strength to be undermined. It's a shame.

Come on now, let's get clever with our QR codes.