Friday, April 27, 2012

HTC 'Freefall' // an extreme execution.

First of all, it's a bit mainstream for me. The build-up towards the 'lights, camera, action' moment and slow pace of the frames as they fall. Not to mention the voice-over narration that comes in to explain the difficulty of the feat they are trying to achieve. Yes, yes, okay we get it.

I am used to being shown things that appear 'impossible', is that not part of the magic and purpose of the mediums of TV and film? What cannot be ignored, however, is the absolute perfection and extremity captured in this impressive execution. What we see is a big idea, one that takes us all the way into the sky and the extreme activity of skydiving. One that certainly would have involved significant investment too. The message itself is pretty impressive as well, that is if I can manage to put aside my general predisposition that TV adverts are constructed. If I can truly believe what I am being shown it would be quite amazing to think that a phone could capture such high quality.
 

 
Or can it? I haven't actually seen the results, just a quick frame in the well-designed clip. What would be interesting is if this campaign was carried through into social media and given a transparency that helped me overcome this barrier and believe that it truly is real.
  
I can't quite make up my mind about this one, a wonderful piece of work with great potential. I'm just not sure it fully reached it.